Saturday, June 11, 2005

Roulette

But I've left behind the man I used to be
Everything he believed and all that belonged to me…

Now I don't know who to trust and I don't know what I can believe
They say they want to help me but with the stuff they keep on sayin'
I think those guys just wanna keep on playin'
Roulette with my life….


From "Roulette" Copyright © Bruce Springsteen (ASCAP)

What do you do when everything and everybody lets you down? Where do you go? In whom do you put your trust? These are hard questions to answer, especially when everyone has his or her own separate agendas. How do you see that? How do you see who is trustworthy, and who is just out to take what can be taken? It’s hard being that solitary figure in the darkness on the edge of town, stripped of everything that was once important, but knowing that there are certain things that you will never ever give up on no matter what, that no one and nothing can take away from you no matter how hard they try. Where do you turn?

The answer is you turn to yourself, you rely on no one but yourself because you are the only one who looks out for you and no one else. You can never really know another person, never know what is going on inside someone else’s head. You can know someone for years and this person can commit the worst sort of heinous acts against you seemingly from nowhere. It’s hard not to trust people, especially when your nature is to trust. It’s hard not to be open and honest and forthright; you want to trust other people because that’s how human relationships are formed. But in the end, you can’t. And that’s too bad. Because it's a hard, cruel world out there, and even harder to live in it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment